Monday, December 14, 2015

Spiritually jogging your way through life!

Let me start by saying in no way is this about me trying to get you to go jogging. LOL  It's an encouraging way to look at your life and let you know that we are all on the same journey in a way.  It's me telling you to keep going and not give up.  Let's start from eh beginning...


So I decided to go on a jog the other day. Before I start my jogs I usually get my music setup and set a goal.  I either set a goal of distance or time.  This day I decided to do just 2 miles.   Mind you I haven't jogged actually outside for a while since the weather had gotten chilly but this day was warm and beautiful.  So off I was!  Running outside is much different that running on a treadmill.  Outside it's aaaaaall you. No machine to help you along.  Now when I started my jog I was doing good. I was happy that I had started my journey. The weather was nice. The Sun was shining bright and the morning air was fresh. I was just jogging along enjoying my music.  Then about 5 minutes in the excitement of it all left and I was feeling the workout.  I think it had a little to do with the small hill I was going up.  I felt a slight pain in my calves and I pushed up. Because I was in a neighborhood I just followed the road. There were all kinds of side roads and coul de sacs throughout this particular neighborhood.  Some coul de sacs were wider than others. Some side roads shorter than
 others.  I found it easier when I was just running on a straight path.  While this neighborhood does have one main, straight road, I knew I needed to do  more to reach my goal.  As I continued on  I ran past barking dogs, cars backing up into the street, for sale signs and neighbors.  I waved (barely breathing LOL) and kept on.  At times I would stop to catch my breath a bit.  At other times, I'd slow down to a slower jog or brisk walk. Anytime I stopped or slowed down I would take a sip of my water. It was just tap water with a few pieces of ice but it tasted like the water of life during my jog! LOL

About halfway through my run, (I think it was when I got to the stop sign looking up and down the road deciding on my next move) that I had a thought.  Jogging (or driving, or biking or walking) is much like life.  See my jogs are my quiet time. I often times end of reflecting on my life.  What I've been through and where I want to go. One thought ran into the next and here is what came to me.  Just like in the beginning of my jog, in life we set goals.  We have a final destination that we plan on working towards.  We do what we need to do to prepare ourselves (like my water and music) and then off we are.  We hope to have a smooth journey.  We hope to be able to just run along the straight road and get to where we want to be.  That's the easy way.  Unfortunately like my jog, life isn't like that.  In life, we encounter side roads and coul de sacs.  These can be having to hold off on a degree or going through a divorce.  Detours. Detours just mean you have to go another way.  You can still get to your final destination but you just have to go another way.  It doesn't mean you have to turn back around.  In life we come across barking dogs and cars backing up.  This can be abusive people or someone trying to hurt you.  I ran faster when the dogs barked and I went around the cars. In our lives we can do the same. Run fast from negative people and those trying to harm you.  I didn't turn around and run, I continued running towards my goal.

In life there are for sale signs and waving neighbors.  This can mean a move or  losing a job or someone close to you.  In life we sometimes have to slow down just to breath.  It can get overwhelming and exhausting.  You sweat and pant.  You cry.  Just like during my jog, you can catch a cramp in life.  Hurt and pain sometimes come.  You stop, stretch it out and keep moving towards your goal.  When I hit that Stop sign I literally stopped.  I was at a crossroads.  I was at a place that I needed to make a decision.  And in life we oftentimes come across moments in which we need to stop.  But just like with a stop sign, you stop, think and go when it's safe.  You don't stop and park.  You keep moving until you get to your final destination.   What I'm trying to say here is we are all on a journey.  We have all set goals and along the way we have all been discouraged.  We have experienced pain and disappointment.  But just like when I came to the hill during my run we just need to push to make it.  Push to get where you want to be.  Push towards finishing school.  Push towards getting that promotion. Push towards starting your business or losing weight or whatever it is your goal is.  Don't allow barking dogs or hills, or cars backing up to make you give up.  Don't stay at the stop sign, breath, gather yourself and keep it moving.  We are in charge of our own journey.  I was jogging alone.  I didn't have anyone there to encourage me.  At times you too will feel alone. So I encouraged myself. I kept my mind on my end goal and I was determined to reach it and ya know what, I actually ended up running further that I had planned!

So get your shoes on and jog through life.  You already know it won't always be easy but you also know you have something you are trying to achieve.  So don't stop until you get there!




No comments:

Post a Comment