Sunday, March 6, 2016

How setting the tone for your day will affect the rest of your week

How do you start your day?  I can tell you how I used to start mine.  Well first there is the snoozing of my alarm that I did at least twice. Yes, I snoozed the snooze.  After finally dragging myself out of the bed and my morning visit to the bathroom I'd wake the kids and BOOM just like that my morning took off! I was rushing through the ironing and breakfast and rushing the kids along as well. "Come one guys, you've been eating long enough", "quickly brush your teeth so we can go", "we leave in 2 minutes".  These are all phrases that would regularly fill our mornings.  Then after dropping them off I'd rush tot he train station to make the train. After finally getting to work I'd then rush to get on track there not because I had to but because I was now in that mode.

Well that was then, now I have learn how to set the tone for my day and how important that is for the rest of the week.

"Doing this allows for a pleasant morning, extra time for breakfast and extra hugs and kisses.  

Here are ways to ensure you are setting yourself up for a great day and furthermore a great week.


Set your alarm to include a lazy wake up.
If you need an hour to get ready then allow yourself an hour and a half.  This allots time for snoozing.  I used to give us an hour to get up, eat, get dressed and be in the car. While that is doable,

"it's a setup for chaos and who wants to start their day with chaos?"  

So I now wake everyone up half an hour earlier than before and it has made a world of difference.  The mornings go so much more smoothly.  I can wake the kids more gently now, actually giving them time to open their eyes and lay there for a few minutes. (hint: if your alarm allows set your alarm to a nice song to wake up to, something that you can listen to while you lay there a few minutes)

Do as much prep the night before.
Just like in elementary school I try to lay my clothes out or at least have an idea of what I am going to wear the following day.  The children wear uniforms so they are easy.  I try to iron the night before and hubby makes lunches the night before as well.

"Getting items off your list the night before leaves less to do in the morning."

Plan breakfast. 
I usually don't cook breakfast on school mornings unless it's eggs and toast.  I give the kids 3 options for breakfast and we go with that.  This eliminates standing in front of an open fridge or pantry for minutes trying to figure it out.  If time allows, which it now should,

"eat breakfast at home so that you can enjoy it more."

It's common to eat at our desks but I find that eating it in the comfort of my home is more pleasant.  Not to mention it makes your commute more pleasant because you aren't starving all the way to work. (Hint: play something nice to listen to as you're eating, I'm a music lover can you tell?)

Do NOT watch the news.
It will be there later.  Unfortunately, the news can put a damper on any day.  I had to stop waking up and watching it because by the time I was finished and ready to start my day, I was sad, disturbed or just down right depressed.  Yes, it is important to be informed but unless you are checking the weather or traffic I would steer clear until a little later.  Bad news can screw the rest of your day up for sure and remember we are trying to set the tone for the day.

Meditate for 5 minutes. 
Just five won't hurt.  I start every morning with meditation.  It's the first five minutes after I open my eyes and I am literally laying in the bed.  I take deep breaths and pray.  I reflect on what I am grateful for.  I think back to when I was struggling and appreciate that although I'm not where I want to be I'm not where I used to be.  This makes me smile and just like that I'm ready to stat my day on a positive note. There are many ways to meditate. Some people get up, find a quiet place to sit, recite a mantra and stay there with their backs straight until they are done.  While that is a very common way to meditate whichever way you choose to meditate is fine.  The goal is to be in that moment. Now if you thin doing what I do will just put you back to sleep then up you go.

There are plenty of other things you an do to ensure you are setting the tone for your day.  Once you find what those things and see how they truly affect the rest of your week and even month you will never go back to those rushed mornings. Here's to paced mornings and happier Mondays!















No comments:

Post a Comment