Monday, March 21, 2016

Literally learning a new language from the palm of your hand! Psst..it's free!

I am learning FRENCH!!!! Yep, myself and all of my immediate family and our spouses.  We are a well traveled family and have had the opportunity to live abroad most of our lives growing up.  I've lived in Japan for 5 years , Germany (twice) and visited another countries to include Italy and Korea.  As part of our curriculum in each country we had to take a cultural class.  In that class we learned the language of that country.  So I know a tad, Japanese, German and I decided to take up Spanish when we move back to the states.  While I know pieces of these languages we (my family) aren't fluent in anything but English.
 We have always talked (from time to time) about learning a language (aside from Pig Latin, LOL) that we can speak in public to one another.  Well I came across this app that can make this come true!  It's called Duolingo.  I reached out to my family and we all voted on which language we'd like to learn together.  French won.

Duolingo is an app I began using a while ago to brush up on my Spanish.  I love it because you can learn
from your phone, laptop or tablet.  It's super easy to use.  I usually do my lessons during my morning and evening commute directly from my phone.  At home I switch to my tablet because you get a few more functions and a lot more detail.  There is an option to "Follow" others to see their progress and so they can see yours.  This is added encouragement to stay on top of your lessons.  Especially in my family.  You do not want to be the only one not understanding what is being said. LOL

The lessons consist of pairing the french word with the English, finding the French word for the English, translating french sentences to English and vice versa.  It will actually say the word so that you can hear how it is supposed to be properly pronounced.  If she speaks too fast for you there is an option to have it said slower.

More than I love the app, I love that I can be in a virtual classroom with my family accomplishing a goal together!  We live in 4 states and 2 different countries between the 8 of us so it's pretty cool when you think about it right?  I'm super excited to not only learn a new language but to also be able to check something else off my Vision Board!  I challenge you to push past your comfort zone and attempt a new language.  It may start off as fun but you never now what doors it can open for you.  Bonjour for now!    


No comments:

Post a Comment