Friday, June 26, 2015

D.I.Y. From an old, drabby dresser to a one of a kind classy TV console!

When it comes to decorating I have a picture in my head of exactly what I want. Nine times out of ten I can't find it anywhere or if I do it's waaaaay overpriced!  For the last 10 years I've been Doing It Myself!  Besides being able to get exactly what I want, I've found that it's rewarding walking pass something that you yourself created. I've done many projects big and small.  From creating a stylish television stand out of a dresser, to making an outdoor oasis on our used to be boring and drab balcony.   

With this particular project we had just moved into a new place and I had gotten rid of my huuuuuge television wall unit.  I decided this time around I wanted something that took up less space.  I also wanted something that looked more original and high end.  From the beginning I knew I wanted this to be a D.Y. project.  So Pinterest it was!  I remembered I had pinned "D.I.Y. dresser to TV Console" a few months prior.  



So I went directly to my board and read up. I had also pinned a side table with this design that I was obsessed with!  And that was my design inspiration! 

My Inspiration


All I needed was a dresser and my supplies and it was on!  I found a dresser that someone who was moving put out on the corner.  It cost a whole NOTHING! It had great bones but was a little scratched up.  It was perfect!! 





For the paint, in order to do the black on black I used a black matte (or flat) paint for the overall coverage and a black high gloss paint for the actual design part. Both came from Lowe's. I always go to Lowe's first because they have a whole stand full of discounted (returned) paint from people who thought they wanted it but had second thoughts after seeing it on the wall.  I have paid as low as $5.00 for a full 3 Quarts of paint. And I'm talking the good stuff like Behr and Valspar! These are the ones I used




For the pattern I used a stencil from Michael's.  It came with two in a pack and was super easy to use. You can probably go to any craft store and find stencils.

 


OK so the process I used was pretty easy peasy.
  1. Take drawers out
  2. Sand dresser all over (drawers included; I used liquid sandpaper and a clean cloth)
  3. Paint two coats of matte paint (make sure it is completely dry before you paint 2nd coat)
  4. After your second coat dries use your stencil and the Hi-Gloss pant to do the design (I wanted mine to look patterned so I made sure the drawers were all touching and placed the stencils slightly above and below the previous design)
  5. DONE!!!


We decided we wanted it to sit higher and ended up adding legs to it .




We got the legs from Home Depot.  They come with no color (just plain wooden legs).  We spray painted them red (for a pop of color) and VOILA! We had our own unique TV console!  I paid a fraction of what I would have paid if I would have gotten it out of a store and when I'm complimented on it I can say "I made that!"  What I like most about out console is the deep drawers that we use as storage.  Most tv consoles have doors and small sections for storage but with the dresser you're getting almost twice the storage space (depending on what kind you have).   There is nothing like doing it yourself!






No comments:

Post a Comment