Monday, June 29, 2015

Let's reconnect...3 Clubs that will encourage you to disconnect to reconnect!! (No electronics allowed!)

So I'm standing on the train and all I see are the tops of everyone's head. Walking down the street I see the same. Everywhere I turn everyone is scrolling on their phones (including me). Not talking but texting, IMing, facebooking, instagramming. I'm going to go ahead and state the obvious "We don't actually talk anymore!"  When is the last time you actually dialed someones number to say Happy Birthday or Happy Anniversary? When did you call someone to say Congratulations!? I'll be the first to say that it's so much more convenient to go to my fb page and either like someone else's message or type one in myself (real quick).  It's the world of technology that we live in and it's not a bad thing but it is changing our communication.

 I have 2 girlfriends that always call me on my birthday and it always makes me feel so special.  It also feels just as good calling them on theirs.  To think that they stopped what they were doing to dial my number just to say Happy Birthday instead of just posting it warms my heart.  It's a big deal to me.  I notice that I get off the phone smiling.  I won't lie, I too send my Happy Birthdays and Congratulations via Social Media or text. To be completely honest I'd rather text than talk most of the time. I mean I can watch a movie and have a conversation at the same time! (lol, so sad) 

Recently I watched a show that featured a group of friends getting together for their cooking club. This is where everyone brings something to cook (unlike a potluck where you bring it already prepared). Then they cook the food as a group.  This particular group had about 5 people in it.  As they were preparing their food they shared how their week had been going so far. They laughed. They talked about the dishes they were preparing. Then once the food was done they sat down and enjoyed it together over more laughs. The one thing I noticed is no one had their phone! It was an uninterrupted great time.  As I watched I thought "Wow, how nice".  Just a group of girlfriends focusing on one another and one another's lives.  

Think about it.  You are at dinner with someone and as you are trying to share your day or something that is bothering you they grab their phone and begin scrolling or texting. "Ummmmm are you talking to someone while I'm talking to you!"?  We have a rule in our house.  No electronics at the table!!  Inspired by this ladies group I've come up with a few other clubs you can create to get back to old fashioned connecting! There is only one rule....No phones allowed!I suggest having a basket for everyone to place their phones in until they leave. Sometimes we have to disconnect to reconnect! Give one a try and leave me a message telling me how it worked out.

Book Club
The Gist - Finding other bookworms to read with! 

Getting started - Start with 1-3 friends and ask each person to invite another person. Pick a schedule and stick with it. (Most meet once a month)

Choosing a book- Vote! or Rotate turns! (Tip: consider a mix of genres)

Choose location- Cafes, homes, Panera, Starbucks, clubhouses etc are all good spots

Why a bookclub?
You may end up enjoying a book tht you otherwise wouldn't have read if you were choosing the book.  For those busy-bodies this is a temporary escape just for YOU to just sit down, breath and enjoy a good read!

Pinterest Craft Club
The Gist - Just being creative with friends!

Getting Started- Invite 3 -5 friends and ask them to invite another.

Choosing a craft- Try picking a season appropriate craft. For example if it's around the holidays make something specific to that particular holiday. Or if it's spring maybe make your own flower arrangements in which everyone brings a bouquet of flowers for everyone involved to pick from.

Location- Someones home or a clubhouse may be best.

Why Craft?
Why not?  The joy you feel knowing that YOU made it alone is good enough reason.  And for those who don't usually craft, ya never know...this could be the begining of a new hobbie! So craft on!!

Homemade Sangria Tasting Club (this one would be a good couples club)
The Gist- Sip and swap let's call it a "wine tasting"

Getting started- Decide who you are going to invite. I suggest 3 to 5 people or couples that way you have a good variety of sangria to taste. 

Instructions- Circulate a link that has a list of sangria recipes (great lists and recipes on Pinterest here ) and have each person/couple choose their sangria! This can be a one-time thing or maybe quarterly. Here is one of my favs!

Why "wine tasting?
Ummmm HELLOOOOOOO WINE!! lol (drink responsibly)!

So that is just a few ideas I came up with but there are so many more you can do.  The point of it all is to do it as Electronic-free as possible. 




No comments:

Post a Comment