Saturday, May 7, 2016

Honoring your darn self! When others don't give you the honor you deserve...

I remember one year the hubs and I were really going through a tough time in our marriage.  Well I guess to him, Mother's Day wasn't a pause in our issues to do something nice because the "gift" I got spoke volumes!  When he passed me the unwrapped, random (because i didn't even know what it was) gift I felt like he was saying "I'm not even going to put forth the effort".  That hurt me because being a mother is one of my proudest roles in life.  I live for it. I go above and beyond as a Mother and while I knew he knew this (he always says it and shows appreciation) this gift was, to me, a spit in the face. 

Mother's Day is about others honoring you as a mother.  It's about receiving recognition and extra love and flowers and gifts and kind words about how great a mother you are.  The unfortunate reality is not everyone has family that takes out the time to do it.  Some Mom's don't even get acknowledged on Mother's Day.  



Sad as it sounds, to some family members, it's just another day all the while the Mother is hurting from the disregard.

  Well I was definitely hurt that year.  I sat in my room and cried.  My best friend just so happened to text me and I shared with her what happened.  She and I decided to go to Brunch.  So I got myself together, dressed really cute and went to Brunch.  Brunch was emotional. I could not believe that was the extent of my "celebration".  I cried some more in the restaurant.  We ate and spent the rest of the day just hanging out. 


That evening I reflected on my depressing Mother's Day and decided I deserved more than that and I was going to get it!

The following day I started my morning off with a nice breakfast at a great restaurant, made a spa appointment for a facial and massage AND bought my self a couple of pairs of shoes.  I took control of my Mother's Day and did a redo.  I smiled so much the day.  I was proud of myself.

There's nothing wrong honoring yourself.  If you've read my blog before or you know me personally you know that I am big on making sure that you take time for yourself and that you treat yourself well. This does not exclude Mother's Day.  For me, I am the CFO of my family, the Head Chef in the kitchen, the waitress, the maid, Transportation supervisor, tutor and anything else you can think of I think.  Breaking it down like that I deserve to be honored like once a month!  


You of all people know how hard you work. You know what you deserve. Go out and celebrate your DARN self.  

Yes, it sucks that you have to do it yourself but don't allow others to take that day of honor from you.  If in the past your Mother's Days have been treated like just any old day, let last year be the last year for that.  This year and every year going forward, celebrate you! YOU DESERVE IT!

You may also like My Mother's Day from Hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment