Sunday, March 1, 2015

Hello Spring! De-winterizing my skin!


Shedding for Spring!  Ok so the first official day of spring isn't until March 20th but let's be honest, the moment we clear February some of us mentally switch our brains to Spring!  There are many ways we transition to Spring. For one you can start shedding a layer of clothing. Lol We switch out our shoes and outerwear as well. While those are probably the most obvious there is another very important thing we need to prepare for Spring and it's our skin! Yep our skin, particularly our faces, go through so much in the winter. From the cold temperatures and wind to snow, sleet and sometimes hail. By the time Winter is over a lot of us are in need of some serious skin revitalizing! So I thought I'd share a few of my personal tips! 

To start off I have been making and using my own facial scrub weekly. It's a simple recipe I got from Pinterest and there are only 3 ingredients that you most likely have already in your house:

1 Tablespoon of Brown Sugar



1 Tablespoon of Honey



1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil



 I got this particular recipe from Pinterest. It's really easy 


Step 1:  Mix all of the ingredients really well
Step 2:  Dampen your face with warm water 
Step 3:  Rub the scrub in a circular motion.  
Step 4:  Rinse!

By the way, you can also use this same recipe for a body scrub.  Just increase measurements (2 Cups brown sugar, 1/2 Cup olive oil and 1/4 Cup of honey).  The honey and the oil leave your body feeling silky smooth.

Once my facial scrub is complete I wash it really good with baby body wash.  There are washes specifically for your face but this is what I prefer to use.  I started using baby body wash after I realized I had run completely out of my regular facial soap.  LOL Yep, by accident! Having 3 kids back to back I had plenty of baby body wash and decided to use that for the time being.  Then I got to thinking.......baby products usually don't have harsh ingredients in them and since I was using it on my face a bonus was that they are always tear-free! So I continue to use the baby wash on my face.  I am not too particular on name brands because most of them are made with the exact same things but I do try to make sure it is fragrance-free.

After a good wash I rinse with warm water leaving my face damp and move to the next step with is to add a moisturizer.  Again, I'm sure there is a specific lotion/moisturizer I am supposed to be using however, as of late I have been using Nivea's Extended Moisture Hand Cream. 


In my mind something a little thicker helps to seal in the moisture and protects my skin a tad more than the thinner moisturizers.  This particular one contains Provitamin B5 vitamin which is "classified as a water-soluble" and Hydra IQ which "penetrates deep within your skin to foster new aquaporins, thus regulating the skin's moisture balance and reducing water loss". 


Although I am already adding a moisturizer all on my face I also add an additional moisturizer for my lips. There are two that I rotate between.  I loooooove Aveeno's Lip Conditioner and Vaseline's Lip Therapy!!! 


The Aveeno contains SPF 15.  It is also made with natural oatmeal, jojoba oil and she butter.  It's like rubbing silk on your lips and it keeps your lips nice and moist for hours.  Both can be found in just about any drug store and costs next to nothing.  A good tip with your lips is to add your moisturizer before bed as well.  

So there you have it.  A simple and easy way to get your face ready for the Spring!  Enjoy and Happy 'almost' Spring.



No comments:

Post a Comment