Thursday, February 19, 2015

When it's chilly....MAKE CHILI!!!!!

What's better than being snowed in???? Being snowed in with a big bowl of your mother's chili!!! When I heard there was a snow storm on the way I made way to the grocery store to gather my ingredients for mom's chili!  I already had the recipe on deck.  A friend of mine was looking for a chili recipe a couple of days ago so I gladly shared my mom's with her and it was a hit amongst her friends and family!  Since I wasn't at home I had to call my mom to get the recipe over the phone. You know how people who have been cooking their whole lives speak in "cook-code"?  That's my mom! Here is a little of how that conversation went:

Mom: Ok use a dash of this
ME: Mom, how much is a dash? A teaspoon? A tablespoon?
Mom: Girl you know I don't measure things, just eye it!
Me: Mom please.  I can't tell my friend a dash of this and a sprinkle of that!

LOL Finally at the end of the conversation I had the recipe of what I'd like to call heaven in a bowl!
Why keep all this goodness to myself?  I decided that the world needs to taste what heaven in a bowl tastes like on a snowed in day!  So here you are.  From my mom to your bow!

INGREDIENTS:

1 Can dark kidney beans
1 Can chili beans
1 Can chili w/ beans
1 Can black beans
1 small can tomato paste
1 Can diced tomatoes (I use seasoned)
1 LB ground beef (or turkey)
3 TBSP chili powder
1/2 Cup ketchup
1 yellow onion- chopped
1 Tsp minced garlic

Ok now that you have everything you need let's get cookin!

First you want to ground your beef with the chopped onion and minced garlic. 


 Once it's completely cooked through, drain your meat an add it to you big ole pot!. 



Next you want to add all of your beans.  Do not drain those juices.  They add flava! 

Now you'll want to add your tomatoes (do not drain) and 1 1/2 Cups of water. Stir! Go on and add your tomato paste and ketchup and stir again.  Finally add your spices.  Mom says to stir after you add each spice. Guess what? That's it! you're done! Put the top on and simmer for an hour.




              
       
                 


I decided to make corn muffins with mine. Nothing too fancy.  I got Krusteaz Honey Cornbread. I replaced the oil with melted butter and used milk instead of water. They melt in your mouth!


        
      
As you know, chili can last for days.  To keep it interesting after about a day or two you can make rice and serve the chili over it.  You can also add corn to it if you'd like.  I topped mine with Gouda cheese and it was great.



The hubs likes a dollop of sour cream on his.  There is plenty you can do with it but to be honest it's great by itself!  Enjoy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment