Monday, April 20, 2015

Diary of a Childless Spring Break. Day 3: Punkin' Out!


Wow we must’ve really enjoyed our Lazy Sunday. So much so that it oozed right into our Monday.  We slept in (yes we had to go to work, no judgement), took our time getting dressed and on to work we went.  We left the house t around 9am.  What time are we supposed to be at work you ask....Oh 9am. It was just that type of morning. Breakfast was not a priority nor was asking for the 9th time through smiling teeth for a certain someone to brush their teeth.  I found that it was quite a quiet morning. I did not once have to state the following statements: Please sit down while you are eating.  Please eat your food.  No playing at the table.  Please put your shoes on.  Please don’t play with your food.  No you may not have a 4th pancake.  No you may not watch Netflix.  No you may not wear your brother’s clothes today (or any day you are a GIRL)!!!!  It felt great just getting ready in almost complete silence. In between the good mornings and excuse me’s Travis and I enjoyed the silence.  In the car we planned our day.  Happy Hour after work. YES Happy hour TOGETHER.  Not me with my sisters while he watched the kids or him with co-workers while l watched the kids.  Us, as a couple were going to do Happy Hour in DC in the middle of the week! Then after that we would enjoy a nice movie. HBO Screen on the green.  It has been years since we were last able to go. I mean the movie doesn’t even start until sunset by that time the kids have been showered, read a book and tucked in with kisses.  But not today! No Siree Bob! All day I couldn’t wait to get the evening started. And then it hit....5 O’Clock! Yes it was here!  On the train and to my boyfriend (husband) I go.The firs thing Travis asked me when he saw me was “Do we have to go get the kids right now? NOPE, i said. “Do we have to be back by a certain time?”...NOPE! I repeated. We laughed and headed to Happy Hour.  

There we were, sitting at the bar enjoying good food, drinks and great conversation.  We laughed so hard at nothing.  Wait a minute, rewind. I left a very important fact out.  About a week and a half ago I got water in my ear at the beach.  It drained out a day or two later but what do you know, the one time I am kid-free apparently all of the water hadn’t drained out and I cannot hear a thing in my left ear. Fast forward back to the bar.  There we were laughing it up all the while I am whispering to Travis every 2 minutes asking him if i’m talking too loud.  I mean I cannot hear myself talk very well due tot he water in my ear. I didn’t want to be the loud obnoxious girl at the bar.  I asked Travis to order my food and drinks so that I wouldn’t yell at the waiter. He did and we went back to laughing. After paying our tab we took a walk hand in hand to get a spot on the grass for our movie.  It was about a quarter to 8 and Travis suggested I take a little nap before the movie started at 8:30.  I took his advice and before I knew it a woman got on the loudspeaker to make announcements. Here we goooooo the moment I have been looking forward to...the movie! Until...I heard her say “the movie will be starting in about 30 minutes guys.”  Wait, the sun has set.  30 minutes?! I’m already sleep.  Travis and I looked at each other and started a conversation about whether or not we should just call it a night or stick it out.  Let me mention that Travis too had heavy eyelids. His concern with us leaving was that we were punking out.  lol That we never get to do this because we have the kiddos. Me (with my tired self) explained to him that it’s not punking out, the kids still won’t be there when we get home. Here was my argument, “Hey, we did our Happy Hour, we came out here. We did good.  The movie doesn’t even START for another 30 minutes. By the time the movie is over it will be close to 11pm! Then we still have to walk to the metro (which by this time is probably running like 20 minutes apart). Then we will still have to drive home from the train station.  Needless to say we rolled up our blanket and called it a night. Went home, and turned on a movie. Fell asleep and that was that.  No we didn’t get to see our movie on the Green but we still enjoyed our time in the city.  P.S....I miss my kids :(




No comments:

Post a Comment