Thursday, May 7, 2015

Kid-Friendly, Messy-free Meatball subs!

A family staple in our home (meaning all 3 of my kids like it) is meatball subs!  Imagine this...3 children, red sauce and meat that rolls on a roll. Scary right?! Lol well since it was something that all of us liked i was determined to figure out a way to make it work for us and i did! I call them meatball canoes  (well in my head I do). With these canoes I almost never see a meatball fall! Here is my kid friendly,  quick and easy fix to messy meatball subs! Wait, you know I HAVE to give you a tip to save!


So, for my subs this time I went to Walmart and got their cheese hoagie bread. Our Walmart always has a cart of baked breads on sale. I know what you're thinking...."why is it on sale?" Well these are the ones that are baked daily and by the end of the day if they haven't sold a lot of them they simply mark them down before the evening (dinner) shoppers come. Before my bag was marked down it was only $3 however after it was just a buck 80! See for yourself! 


 So saving tip of the day, shop for your dinner breads at bakeries in the evening before heading home and you have a high probability of  a deal!

Alright, let's get to these subs! Let me say that this is not a meatball recipe. You should already have those prepared. So you'll want to take your hoagie bread and turn it upside down and cutout a long, narrow oval deep enough to tuck those meatballs in completely.


















Then one by one tuck those bad boys in nice and snug like so...


Since your meatballs are most likely still warm from you cooking them all you need to do now is add your cheese and microwave them for about 15 seconds. Just enough to melt the cheese.


For hubby I sometimes add a little extra sauce and maybe sprinkle some Italian seasoning then the cheese.  This particular one is for one of the kids so no extra sauce for them hence kid-friendly! 


And just like that you have a Kid-friendly, mess-free meatball sub (or canoe, whichever you prefer,lol)! ENJOY!! 

P.S. I can't promise you that a meatball still won't find it's way off the plate.


1 comment: