Friday, February 19, 2016

Saving Money for real this time! 9 steps to help you become financially fancy!

The brutal reality of becoming financially stable is that in the beginning you will HAVE to say no and be OK with it. Look at the bigger picture. No doesn't mean never, it means not right now. Starbucks, NOPE. Last minute, unplanned, spontaneous trips, nope. Eating out for lunch AND dinner, no, no, no!! Here is the thing. You have to discipline yourself enough to where you understand that saying no to wants is saying yes to financial freedom or what I call being Financially Fancy! Friends are always going to want to go to happy hour. There will always be a sale or a good deal on shiny new things so don't worry you aren't missing out. Those things are just temporary pleasures. You are trying to get to a place where you owe no one and are in a position where it actually makes sense for you to go on a trip or shopping spree.  When I say makes sense I mean paying for your trip with cash (not on credit), have spending money and come home being able to still pay your bills (completely, not partial) and still have money in the bank.

Here are a few things I have come up with that I know will help me and I'm hoping will help you in your journey to become closer to being financial fancy!



Get comfortable saying no. Friends are going to always want to do something.  They just are but like I said before, you have a goal so saying no will have to be something that you become very comfy with saying.  Real friends will respect your no and may even respect and admire the way you are sticking to your guns and staying commit to your goal. Heck you might just encourage them to hop on board and start being more conscious of spending too!

Budget. I know, easier said than done.  We've all tried it at one point in time and it always starts off good until something comes up.  What I started doing was only allowing myself like $20 a week to spend.  Doesn't sound like very much but I eat breakfast at home, I take my lunch instead of eating out and I cook dinner.  So during the week I really don't need to spend the money.  The weekend is where the $20 would get spent.  I don't do a lot of going out but if we are out in the city we may eat lunch or grab a snack. Or if we are at the Zoo I may pay for the kids to get on the merry-go-round.  That is where that $20 comes in.  Now this $20 can be rolled over tot he next week but doesn't have to. If $20 is too low for you then do what makes sense but make sure to keep your goal in mind.

Make short term goals.  I believe that when a goal isn't as aggressive it's easier to accomplish.  So making a weekly and monthly goal is a great way to start saving.  It all adds up.  You can say you will put $100 in savings a week giving you a minimum savings of $400 a month.  I say minimum because after seeing your money start to add up you (well at least I am) are more encouraged to throw a little more to savings.

Forget about the Joneses and focus on you. I think the biggest reason why we don't save as we should is because people are trying to keep up with the Joneses not realizing that the Joneses are either broke, in terrible debt or living paycheck to paycheck. Just because things are nice and shiny on the outside doesn't mean everything is all good over at the Jones household. In my early twenties I had to have the latest of everything! Phone, clothes, shoes whatever it was I needed to be in the current. Well as I have grown I dropped that stinking thinking a few years back. While the Joneses are flossing, my car is 2 payments shy of being paid off. My condo is the perfect size for my family and my rent never goes up and I am probably a year from being debt free. All the while the Joneses are trying to keep up appearances.  

Life doesn't have to stop because you are watching your spending. Simple planning ahead can still allow you to enjoy life while saving. Remember the key is to save. Here are a few tips to save on purpose

Every time you choose no, put that money to savings. This is for those instances where you were willing to almost spend it and decided at the last minute so save it.


Get creative. It's still important to have date nights. Try using Groupon! I always find huge discounts on Groupon. From dinners to put-put golf. Another creative way to have date night is stay in and have a family member babysit outside of the house (it's usually free). Maybe cook together and watch a movie on Netflix. Amazon Prime has movies you can rent for less than five bucks. 


Travel smarter! Travel can be expensive. Try staying closer to home and exploring your city. Living Social always has great deals on activities and hotels among other great discounts. Remember this isn't for life just while you are trying to gather yourself financially. SO sacrificing those major trips is definitely worth it. If you MUST go further try joining travel groups via social media. I am part of a group that posts when there are cheap flights to other countries. Just yesterday someone posted a round trip flight from NY to Puerto Rico for just $180. That is a great deal. I have to admit I was soooo tempted to get it but then I thought about the other money I'd end up spending and decided against it.

Make gifting fun. There will be birthday parties that your children get invited to and yes you should take a gift but who says you have to spend a lot on it? You can always put together a nice gift bag/basket with a variety of items. My children are still young so a bag that includes candy, a coloring book and crayons a few stickers and maybe a small toy would make any kids happy All of those items are sold at the dollar store. Marshalls and TJ Maxx are also great places to buys gifts when you are on a budget so those weddings you get invited to are covered as well!

Wear what is in your closet! Speaking of weddings, wedding season is coming up. Well for us ladies we always want to go buy something nice to wear to someone else's wedding as if we are the ones getting married. LOL Well, don't. Go to your closet and find something nice you can wear. Same for Easter. Just pick out a nice outfit you already own and save the money. If you have gained or lost weight and you genuinely don't fit anything in your closet then go thrifting. Trust me you will find something for a fraction of what you would in a Department store but just as nice.

To Save money for real this time you can be broke or be smart! It's completely up to you us. Once we are where we want to be financially we then have to stay financially fancy and continue the good habits we formed in the beginning. Good luck and here's to getting through tax refunds! Will we pass the test? let's not blow it...





1 comment: