Friday, May 29, 2015

My Top 5 Thrifting Tips to guarantee you get the most for your money!

So as you have come to learn I am a firm believer in thrifting.  Not only is it an economical way to find fashion treasures but i get to pay far less than I would in a department store which means going home with change in my pockets. LOL  I have a closet full of clothes that I can honestly say I never spent a dollar over $15 for an item but you wouldn't be able to tell. There are a few tips I'd  like to share with you to help you maximize your time and money when thrifting! Let's get to it...

Find a thrift store that has daily, weekly or monthly deal days  
One particular store I go to has daily deals.  Each day two colors are posted.  Anything that has a tag that color is 50% off.  Try your best to only purchase items that are on sale. Yes, I know, they are already very inexpensive but why not save more???

Shop on (or very close to) Holidays 
A lot of thrift stores have "Holiday Specials" in which you either get additional off of certain items or you get a Buy one Get one deal!  I recently shopped 2 days before Memorial day and it was buy 2 get 1 free.  Their deal is usually either $5 a piece or 3/$12. So with the "holiday Deal" it was 3/$10.  So I got 6 items for $20 bucks! (pt 2 of this tip is to check to see if the store you frequent has a social media page.  Often time they will post upcoming sales on there) 

If you are shopping for kids and it's during a special sale buy shoes one (or two) size up!  
Their feet are definitely going to grow and you'll be prepared when they do.  Plus it's not guaranteed they'll have the correct size when you need it and you don't want to get stuck paying more than you have to.

Try on! Try on! Try on!  
Whatever you do, if you are shopping for yourself try on the clothes before you purchase.  I can't tell you how many times i look at something and will almost swear I can fit it, then I try it on and my thighs say "ummmmm not happening"! lol Some thrift stores don't have fitting rooms so if  you know you are going thrifting for clothes wear something that is close fitting so you can slip the clothes you want to try right over your head.  Ladies, I suggest leggings and tank top.  Fellas, a close fitting t-shirt and thin pants. You can always call ahead and ask if they have fitting rooms.
Find out the return policy  
A lot of places have a 30-day WITH receipt policy however others have only FINAL SALES.  This comes in handy if you are shopping for someone else and they don't fit what you got.  it's also helpful if you are in a rush and need to grab a few options.  That way you can return what didn't work out.  The only thing with returning at thrift stores is they usually only do a store credit.
So there you have it!  The magic to thrifting!  Keep these in mind and I guarantee you'll thank you later for it!  Happy Thrifting!

P.S. check out my latest Thrifty Threads Video here!  It's a kid's haul!


No comments:

Post a Comment