Wednesday, June 3, 2015

The Do's and DONT's of Father's Day!

And the countdown begins! In a few weeks fathers everywhere will be opening new pairs of socks, ties and shirts and let's not forget the shirt/tie combo! lol  If we are being honest fathers get the short end of the stick when it comes to not only their celebration but their gifts.  Mother's Day is like the second coming of Christ to some. LOL I mean some plan months in advance for mothers.  Moms get flowers, breakfast in bed, jewelry, dinner AND SOME!  But oh the fathers.  Poor dads. I mean hey it's the thought that matters but when it's an afterthought it's just not a good look. I am actually guilty of this myself (well  partly guilty).  I had planned a family trip to Dutch Wonderland in Pennsylvania the same weekend of Father's Day.  While I was very aware that it was Father's Day and did grab the hubs' favorite cologne I waited until the morning of Father's Day to go grab the rest of his stuff.  Not only that but I waited until I got back from the store to have the kids make his gift (I did mention it was the morning of right?).  I threw his other gifts in the nice duffel bag that the cologne came in and then presented it to him.  It was a bag of his favorite things, His favorite candy, his favorite movie (Ferris Bueler's Day Off), a new cd to listen to in the car (one of his favorite artists Jimi Hendrix) and his favorite cologne.  I was proud of myself!! (Let me just say that I did plan to do this in advance but I ran out of time. So I DID plan in advance but my execution was the day of which totally ruined it all). He was underwhelmed to say the least.  He saw that the kids had JUST made his gift there in the hotel room.  He saw that I left the hotel to "grab" the other gifts.  While I had a great idea to get him a bag of favorites, doing it the day of gave the message "oh yeah, here....".  He probably felt like an afterthought ( since guys don't really share their feelings I'm just assuming here but I bet I'm not that far off).

Ok before I go any further let me say the Father's Day isn't just for guys who have children.  If we're being honest all guys that have children aren't great fathers (and on the flip side of that, all women who give birth aren't always great mothers). Let me also say that Father's Day has nothing to do with any other relationship but the one between the father and the children.  Ask yourself "Is (insert father's name) a good father to his children?" If the answer is yes then onward with mission Father's Day. If the answer is no then I'll leave that up to you.

So here's what I've decided to do.  I've come up with a few Do's and DON'Ts for Father's day.  Hopefully this will help US do right by the fathers in our lives whether it's the fathers of our children or our fathers themselves.  I'll just start with the most obvious...

DO plan ahead.  Planning ahead allows you to take your time and really do your best for the honoree.  It will open up options. For example say there is something they have always wanted but it's only available online. Planning ahead will allow ample time for it to be delivered on time.

DON'T RUSH.  If you answered yes to the question of whether or not the father is a good father to the children then I'm assuming they deserve more than a rushed day. Rushing not only gives the message that they aren't all that important but it also leave absolutely no space for unexpected emergencies that may occur which can result in you not being able to grab something.

DO think outside the box.  We mean well when we pick matching socks and ties and shirts but really do they need another pair of sock?  Try to remember something they may have mentioned.  Take into consideration their hobbies or events they may be interested in.  My husband loves NBA so I have gotten him the NBA pass for his cell.  That way if we are on a road trip or stuck somewhere he is not getting the shakes from missing an "important game".

DON'T repeat the same gift as last year.  This can fall under the 'plan ahead' tip.  Just going and getting the same gift in another color doesn't display that much thought went into their gift.  If you forgot what you got them lat year I'm sure there is a picture somewhere you can pull up.

DO get a separate gift from the kids.  If you are also appreciating the father they are to your children then it's important you get something that is from just you.  Even if it's just a separate card.  Letting them know that they are also appreciated by you is necessary.

DON'T pick the gift for the children if they are over the age of 1.  Even a 1 year old can scribble their gift.  It's important to explain to the children that this is the one day set aside to show daddy how much we appreciate him for everything he does and then let them decide how they want to show that. Whether it's them going to the store and buying candy (cause that's what they like, LOL), or them drawing a picture of them with their dad. Now I would suggest boundaries.  Maybe give a limit so they are trying to buy dad a new car!

So there you have it! Just a few DOs and DON'Ts as a guideline when preparing for Father's Day.  Hopefully keeping these in mind will help you give the father you are celebrating a wonderful day.  Let me go and get started on my shopping! HAPPY PLANNING!




No comments:

Post a Comment